My sister and I are only three years apart in age. I don’t remember a whole lot about our relationship back then, except that we fought a lot, and between the two of us, had a whole truckload of teen angst. At the time, being at the stage of life we were in, we didn’t give any thought to what my parents were
feeling. Now that I am a parent (nice job, Karma), I know why my Mom started drinking wine from a box in the fridge as soon as she came home from 8:00 Mass.
Ladies, if any of you are currently raising preteen or teenage daughters, I could use your advice.
For those who may not be raising one, here are ten signs of someone who is:
- She has stopped buying bottles of wine. She now buys them in cases.
- Her worry lines are now worry canyons.
- Her hair has gone from starting to turn gray to falling out entirely.
- Once intelligent, capable and successful, she is now unable to “get it” or “understand” and needs to just “forget it”.
- She knows “all about that bass”, the words to every Taylor Swift song, who Iggy Azalea is and has to explain that Aerosmith is not from “the olden days”.
- She has a newer version of the iPhone than her daughter, but she knows significantly less about its functionality.
- Though her husband still finds her “hot”, her daughter begs her to “please not wear that in public” because “OMG Mom, what if we see someone I know?”
- Negotiating multi-million dollar business transactions is a walk in the park compared to discussing why it’s not a good idea to dress like a tramp.
- All life experience and previously utilized systems of logic and rationale are now completely and utterly ineffective.
- She spends far too much time smacking herself in the forehead.